Dear Cherokee Families,
On behalf of the Cherokee Association of Parents and Teachers (APT), I would like to welcome you to the 2019-2020 school year! One of the distinguishing factors that has continued to set Cherokee apart from other schools is the incredible support of our community. We are thrilled to welcome your family to the Cherokee community. The mission of the APT is to provide support to Cherokee Teachers and Staff through both time and treasure. The focus for the APT for the 2019/2020 school year will be on providing excellent educational opportunities for each student through strong teamwork! We all want our kids to succeed and to do this we must work together…Teamwork can make the dream work! We look forward to seeing each of you in your child’s classroom, on field trips, at APT community events and fundraisers. In addition, we would like to encourage each family to join in our fundraising efforts throughout the year. The funding that the APT raises goes directly back into our classrooms to support aides in grades K-5, part time aides in Art, Gifted and Library, and Specialists in reading, math and writing allowing for differentiated learning for each student, technology updates and classroom supplies.
Our school year will kick off with an Open House from 1:00-3:00 pm on Friday, August 2nd, 2019 in the Cherokee Cafeteria. Please bring your children to visit their new classrooms, meet their teacher, bring in school supplies or pick up your EduKit if you ordered one over the summer. The APT will have many informational tables that apply to the 2019-2020 school year, as well as volunteer signups for activities during the year.
Be sure to visit the Cherokee APT website, www.cherokeeapt.com, throughout the year for valuable information, upcoming activities and events. Please take a moment to create an online account with Membership ToolKit (our community database), enter your contact information into the system to receive communications from the APT about all school events.
The APT hosts several fun events for families throughout the school year, including:
- The annual Fall Fiesta adult social event! The event will be held on Friday, September 20th from 6-10pm. Enjoy a casual evening of fun, food and beverages and meet other Cherokee parents.
- The Fall Festival and Trunk or Treat will be held on Friday, October 25th from 4:30-7:30pm. There will be many fun activities and games for all ages, as well as prizes for the best costume!
In addition to the social events, the Cherokee APT also hosts three fundraisers throughout the 2019-2020 school year. This funding is crucial to the success of our students and provides them with a learning environment that is more individualized to their learning.
- Our largest fundraiser of the year is the annual Membership Drive. This drive starts at the beginning of school and runs through Friday, September 6th, 2019. Show your support for Cherokee and become a supporting member of the APT at a level comfortable for your family. All donations are tax deductible as the APT is a 501(c)(3) organization. In addition, we offer several family and corporate sponsorships. If you are a small business owner or have an opportunity to engage your company in supporting the learning environment at Cherokee, we would encourage you to consider these opportunities. Please see the enclosed sponsorship levels.
- The only child led fundraiser of the year, the Fitness Challenge, will kick off with a fun pep rally on January 17th, celebrate with a dance party on January 24th, and concludes with a day of fun and fitness on February 7th, 2020. Our fundraising winners will be announced on February 14th. This event is beloved by the students each year as they work to raise money to support their school but also, have a wonderful time doing it!
- Finally, we will end the year with an adult night out for our annual Auction event. Taking place on Saturday, April 18th, 2020 this event includes dinner, dancing, and a silent auction.
These are all incredible opportunities for each family to fully immerse in the Cherokee
Thank you for your commitment to Cherokee and remember “Teamwork makes the Dreamwork!”
Kendra Scheer Kate Fassett
President Presidential Advisor
Cherokee APT 2019/2020 Cherokee APT 2019/2020