Cherokee Parking Lot Safety Guideline
Please do not try to Buck the System!
The Carline rules are in place for the safety of our Children!
Safety is our number one priority. In order to ensure the safety of Cherokee students Car Line procedures will strictly be enforced. Parents, as members of the Cherokee Community we ask that you share in the responsibility of keeping our students safe, by learning our parking lot procedures and abiding by them.
- Cell phone use is not permitted while driving in the parking lot. Focus on keeping students safe. This includes the hands- free options through most cars. Please keep your focus on safety, not on your phone conversation.
- Use the crosswalks and set a safe example for all our students.
- Students are not allowed in the parking lot without an adult.
- DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP IN THE PARKING LOT IS NOT PERMITTED. Be patient and use the Car Line.
- DO NOT WAIT IN THE PARKING LOT FOR A SPACE. Circle around again or park on a side street.
- DO NOT PARK IN ANY RESERVED SPOT at any time. These parking spots are reserved for families who have bought the space at our spring auction. DO NOT PARK IN THEM AT ANYTIME, OR BLOCK THEM BY PARKING OR STOPPING BEHIND THE SPOT.
- When parking, walk your student safely to the crosswalk and/or walking them to the front of the school.
- Be prepared to park on side streets and walk to the school. The parking lot will not accommodate all families during pick-up and drop-off. Plan your time accordingly.
- Wait in line on the sides of 56th Street, OUTSIDE OF THE SCHOOL ZONE, before Car line opens for pick-up.
- Do not block 56th Street traffic before 2:50 PM so cars and buses can access the school.
- Be patient. Do not enter the exit lanes and do not illegally pass cars in a school zone – it is a safety hazard.
- Please RESPECT all Car line volunteers- they are volunteering their time to help keep our students safe.
Morning Drop-off 8:20 – 8:45 AM
- There are two lanes of moving traffic in Cherokee’s drop-off system. The far-right lane is called the Car Line, and is used for Stop, Drop, and Roll in the front of the school. The left lane is a moving traffic lane that can be used to drive to the back of the school, or to exit the parking lot.
- For the Car Line in the front of the school (K-5 students), students should be ready to exit the cars before entering the car line with backpacks packed, zipped, and ready to go. This is a Stop, Drop and Roll.
- DO NOT STOP AND GET OUT OF YOUR CAR IN THE CAR LINE! THIS IS A HUGE SAFETY RISK FOR YOU, YOUR CHILD AND OTHERS IN THE CARLINE.
- DO NOT PUT BACKPACKS IN THE TRUNK AND GET OUT OF YOUR CAR IN THE CARLINE TO GET YTOUR CHILDS BACKPACK.
- BE RESPECTFUL OF ALL CARLINE VOLUNTEERS WHO REMIND YOU OF THE RULES. THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR A REMINDER IF YOU WERE FOLLOWING THE RULES.
- Pull forward all the way to the recycle bins, or as far as you can, before letting the students exit the car.
- Students should exit the cars in waves, from the first car at the recycle bin, to the last car in line in the Car Line. Do not wait until you are closer to the school. This impedes the flow and slows the process.
- Please have your student exit the car from the passenger’s side doors only! Do not let them get out of the car on the driver’s side into moving traffic.
- Pedestrians will have time to cross while the Car Line is unloading. As the unloaded cars exit, the pedestrians will be held back to keep the traffic flowing efficiently.
Afternoon Pick-up 2:50 – 3:30 PM
- Create a placard with the student’s full name (BIG, BOLD, LEGIBLE letters) and place on dash.
- If arriving before Car Line opens at 2:50 PM, wait in line on the sides of 56th Street, outside the school zone. Blocking of 56th is not permitted, so cars may enter the school to park, and buses may proceed to the bus lanes.
- For K-1 ONLY – at 2:50 PM (1:15 PM on early release days) a volunteer will open the Car Line and wave the cars forward to the end of the Loading Zone. The Loading Zone begins after the crosswalk and ends at the recycle bin. Please pull all the way up to the end of the blue gates.
- Students may be picked up in the front of the school from the Loading Zone only. Students will be waiting for rides by grade level, in the designated areas.
- Students’ names will be called by a megaphone volunteer. After three attempts, if your student doesn’t arrive, you will be asked to leave the Loading Zone, circle around and reenter the queue, or you may park.
- After 3:30 PM, supervision ends in front of school. For safety, we ask all students to wait in the office for their ride. If arriving after 3:30 PM, please park and pick-up your student in the office.
- IF YOU HAVE ECC STUDENTS PLEASE NOTE PICKUP AND DROPOFF TIMES DIFFER! THE ECC DAY BEGINS AT 8:30AM AND PICKUP IS AT 2:45 PM. THERE IS NO CAR LINE FOR ECC STUDENTS AS THEY MUST BE PICKED UP AND DROPPED OFF DIRECTLY!